Monday, March 31, 2008

Nothing is New Under The Sun

+when fiction and realities collide+

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but you already knew about it since we started it all. Right?" said Matsumoto-san while he still reading his email. "Hai..you're absolutely right. Look..I am not looking for any excuses here, I just want to give you a heads up. I knew from the beginning..that at any point of time there might be a strong potential downside skew to the risk profile of our project which may affect our access to the market leading to an unfavorable position for us. Nevertheless, with the current vulnerability to skyrocketing oil prices..we shouldn't just play it safe. We should risk it..and that's why we need to strengthen our position." I tried to tone down my voice though sweat already running down on my back. I can't lose it now..heck, I can't lose it all and scrap the whole thing. "So, what do you say, Matsumoto-san? Are you in?" He stopped reading his email and looked straight to my eyes. It was a cold quiet moment and feels like my Panerai has stopped ticking..but no, I refused to back down. If he wants to give me that kind of yakuza look, then fine..let's risk it all. Finally, the ackward moment broke when he reached his box of cigars, pulled up one and lit it up. Then, he said with his deep bass voice, "You know, Nick..you have some guts to give me that kind of crap on what we should do in the energy business. Dakedo, you remind me of how I was when I was around your age and I have the feeling that somehow you can sniff out good shit. So, I give you 2 more weeks. I want a full analysis on my desk by then. Wakaru ka?" "Yes, Sir! Ryoukai desu. Thank you very much!"

...

I still tried to calm my nerves while waiting for taxi outside Matsumoto-san's office. Indeed, it's a different game compared to those regular M&A transactions I've involved so far. Though the theme is always the same everywhere I look..now, it is not that simple anymore. This deal..which actually was started as I tried to help some of my contacts in Jakarta to find business partners in Japan.. now has grown to be such a potential big ticket item. Sometime I wonder if I've made a right decision to do such a deep dive..

to be continued...

No comments: