Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Reality Check pt 1.0

@@when fiction and realities collide@@

Nick: "So, Tomi-san...how have you been doing? I heard from Kei that you were her colleague at Bear Steans but left around January?"
Tomi: "Yeah, man..I think last time we met I was still with Mizuho and then I changed to Bear..doing Emerging Markets stuffs as well, but kinda different smell. And yep..I left the firm around January."
Nick: "So where do you work now?"
Tomi: "I'm doing my own biz now..doing stuffs related to trading on weekdays and organizing parties like this on the weekend. Nothing glamorous though..just to make the ends meet..haha"
Nick: "Dude, that's so cool! So, are you saying you're a daytrader and celebrity at the same time?"
Tomi: "Hahaha..daytrader, yes, celebrity not so sure though..it will be great if I can be like Peter Thiel one day..haha. Anyway, what I really like now is FREEDOMMM *OMG he was shouting..well, it's his party anyway* hahaha. How about you, my friend?"
Nick: "Hahaha..awesome!!! Such a great combo, right...financial freedom and "free" time..do what you want to do and loving every second of it. For me..ahh..still making coffees and buying bento for the big boys..haha.."
Tomi: "Well, life is about choices, buddy..you can be one of the big boys too if you want to, but the question is..do you really want to? Hehe..repeat after me..freedommmmmm! *he shouted to the floor again and this time I joined him..hahaha*

...

After that short "introduction" session, Tomi-san excused himself to greet his other guests. I told him that it would be great if we could continue the conversation later on and he agreed as long as I could make Kei-chan joined the tequila contest. "No problemo, Cuervo is Kei-chan's middle name anyway..haha" I told him while dodging Kei-chan's punches to my arms. "Alright, friends..please excuse me...man has to earn some living now" said Tomi-san as he winked to Kei.

...

The crowd was getting bigger and louder as time passed by. It was around 1 in the morning and it got harder to walk around from one spot to another point. I had to say that I'm impressed as the venue was actually pretty big and I think right now any sober man could easily find about 400 guests. "Wow..a private party with 400 attendance..sweett." As I hopped around and talking to people, I started to realize that it's actually not an ordinary crowd. Though the main composition is kinda usual, it could be splitted further: the Richie Richs, the market players, and the models. It's just like "buy side meets sell side, with eye candy bonus". Then, I remembered that Tomi-san was talking with a group of traders regarding what's hot in the market earlier and now I saw him talking with..hmm..I think they're part of Mori's family or other ultra-wealthy family in Japan...well, just to make it short.."THE buy side". Wait a minute.."Yes, I'm a daytrader".."Freedom"...ahahahahaha...

...

I stood next to the bar by myself and as I raised my glass, I told myself.. "Kanpai, Tomi-san..you're definitely one of the smart-asses out there!"

No comments: